Aug 12 2011
Greg Veen is presenting after the 15 minute break. Need water.
Greg Veen is co founder of typekit. Has done work with Google and Twitter @gregveen #wcsf
#wcsf Now showing code and how it has changed. Wants us to understand that you have to get this right so it works over all browsers and it changes over time.
Web Services take care of that for you.
On a WordPress site there are plugins to bring the web fonts in #wcsf
Flash or un-styled text :
- Mozilla will actually show the font until the web font is loaded
- Safari will hide it until it is loaded
Web font loader – loads fonts via java script
You can tell it what you want it to do while loading
Web font rendering – this can be a problem #wcsf
Fonts that were originally designed for print this can be a problem
- Some fonts that have this problem have been rectified with “hinting” tells the browser how to read it and improves the readability
- Need to be aware of hinting particularly at smaller sizes
- Some fonts require more hinting than others – important to choose the right font for the right job
- As a developer you need to be aware – another layer of browser testing. Make sure the font you use renders well in all the browsers that are important for you.
Typekit provides a tool for this so you can see how it looks in all browsers.
Q&A WebFonts #wcsf
- Typekit sells web fonts and it is an issue to integrate into PhotoShop / Illustrator. Designers want to also use for print work
- What is your favorite font? “bleeding cowboys” – a tongue and cheek answer. See it a lot on taco trucks.
- Speak about Google WebFonts vs. TypeKit:
Difference is selection – they have a smaller library. Not the best quality all open source. Typekit invests more in the hinting etc to make fonts look better.
- What is the benefit of Typekit over Java based flash base fonts?
Web fonts work the way the web works. Others are more clunky. It is the web nativeness
- Ligatures – should have support soon for browsers that support them
- Bandwidth pricing is a problem makes it hard to choose. Typekit would not turn off your fonts if you go over the limit.