Sep 18 2011
I am live blogging from a WordPress meetup on looking at different ways you can post to and from various Social Media sites. Attendees will be sharing what they have done. Meet up starts at 1:00 PDT. I will use the hashtag #wpeb for my tweets.
After introductions the WordPress Q&A from the group.#wpeb
Q: how to add feeds
A: Go to the website http://www.sillybean.net that has hidden WordPress feeds that you may not know about
Q: Good books for creating themes.
A: Beginning WP 3 has good information for building themes.
“How to be a WordPress Rockstar” – shows how to build a theme in photoshop and then turn into a WP theme
Q: Subscribing to the site options. (person is really not sure what they need. These are some of the ideas)
A: WordPress plugin called Subscribe To which is RSS to email. Membership plugins and people pay to be members. Feed Burner was also mentioned, people can subscribe to certain content.
MailChimp RSS to email. Ratepoint.com is easier to use than MailChimp. MailChimp can be a little quirky
Q: Backing up your blog and website what is the best
A: Files and database: Plugin BackWPup, latest version works best with 3.2. Not free “Backup Buddy”. Be aware if your site is really big the web host can time you out during the backup, may want to stagger the backups.
Plugin: WordPress Database Backup also emails you a backup
Q: Web Hosting is good
A: EC2 – good webhost
Don’t use goDaddy. They are very slow. Only allows you to use their installer. Long operations it will log you out.
Q: update plugins do I have to do it
A: yes you should always update your plugins.
List of Social Plugins to add to your WordPress Site #wpeb
- Share and Follow: Has all the icons for different social media sites. Also has the side bar. Share and Follow also has a widget.
- Social Media Widget: Install it and then you have it in your widget area. Must be customized. They like it for the simplicity of the design.
- Social Plugin for WordPress: This is good so that users can sign in with fb or twitter to leave comments. No much known about it.
- Discus: Beware you do not own your comments. They own your data.
- Add This: Is a service that you go through.
- JetPack: bundled plugins from Automattic from WordPress.com. Some thoughts that it may later be a monitization vehicle later.
Types of sharing: You share your content and visitors share your content on their sites. The plugin that you use depends on your site
- Digg Digg: this shows you how many people have shared.
Twitter Plugins for your WordPress Site. #wpeb
- Tweet Old Posts: Will go through old posts and randomly post them on twitter. You can time them and the age of your posts, choose which categories to post and not to post, also age of the posts.
- WP to Twitter:
- Twitter Widget Pro
- BlackBird Pie: quote people’s twitter streams on your site
TwitterFeed is an external website. Feeds any RSS feed from any site (you don’t have to own it) #wpeb into it and have it auto feed into your twitter and facebook. #wpeb You don’t have to own the RSS feed that you use on TwitterFeed. Http://www.twitterfeed.com
These are basically automated tweets into your twitter and facebook. This is not specific to WordPress since you can do this from any RSS feed or site.
On the site the tagline is: Feed your blog to twitter, facebook and more ….
- Feed Delay – set it not to update your RSS or twitter. Until you feel good about your post #wpeb
- Push Press: Uses push subhub protocol. Publish a blogpost and have it immediately show up in our twitter feed. Auto posting service. Links Alpha supports Push Press
Moving onto facebook plugins at #wpeb for #wordpress:
- Simple Facebook connect: Allows people to login with their facebook. Problem is it is not that simple. Need to go into facebook and develop an application. Can have a link to your fanpage instead of your profile. This is mainly for the users to sign into your site with facebook. Also sets up a like button and share button.
- Wordbooker: Like button, share button … will post your posts onto your facebook page. Comments from facebook to WordPress. Takes your blog post and pastes it on your profile page. Will also pass on images. Some of the people at the meetup really like this plugin. Wordbooker gives you a lot more control. One person for him this is the best.
- Embed Facebook: embeds part of your fb profile onto your wordpress website. Great for status updates and photos. An album or gallery in facebook and displaying it. Currently no way to get your wall feed into your site ’cause facebook changed the API.
- Facebook Grabber: No longer works well. It was a mirror of your facebook wall
- Photonic: for bringing images from flickr and Picasa to display on your site.
Here is the link to the Blog Post for Social Plugins Meetup for #WordPress #wpeb http://www.tonicarr.com/blog/connecting-wordpress-to-twitter-facebook-and-social-sites/