Oct 06 2010
Joomla Day West was in San Jose on October 2-3, 2010 in the Town Hall building in the eBay Offices. Thank you to eBay, Microsoft and kontent design big sponsors that provided meeting space, great wifi and two meals each day. About 180 people attended both days and also included the joomla! leadership teams. Most of the buzz was focused around the 1.6 upgrade which is due out sometime. 1.6 is a major upgrade from 1.5 and the plan is to support 1.5 for a year after the 1.6 launch. We learned there is no rush to upgrade to 1.6. When you decide to make the leap I would have a back up plan for the upgrade as you migrate the website over. At this time I don’t know of any migration documentation. You can download Joomla 1.6 Beta11 if you would like to try it out.
Here are some of the major take away points from the conference:
- The production leadership team is separating out the framework development from the CMS.
- Leadership Team Summit were all in attendance and able to have meetings in person.
- eBay will now be contributing to joomla!
- iJoomla Components are now “GPL”
- moo tools 1.3 will include art functionality along with exciting new Java Script behaviors
- Kunena 1.6 is a stable release, it supports Joomla! 1.6 style languages and is backward compatible with Joomla 1.5
- JomSocial demo’ed the new release 2.0 and will be out soon. JomSocial adds a social networking community to your website. http://www.jomsocial.com/
- BluePrint - is a CSS framework for joomla! and the “Atomic” template will be included in Joomla 1.6 .
- Open Source Matters is now in the black meaning – they don’t owe money.
- 1.6 has formatting changes that will effect templates.
The Joomla Community has updated the website and added additional support:
- Joomla! Community Magazine
- Joomla! Showcase
- Joomla! People Portal – discussion groups and social networking. This is a JomSocial site.
Leave a comment with information I may have left out or that you would like to add.